Saturday, March 30, 2013

Vintage Guerlain Meteorites Lipstick ~ Clarisonic Mia 2 ~ Clarisonic Vs. Olay Pro X Review ~ Vintage Compact Mirror

Happy Saturday Everyone :-)

Today's Lipstick of the Day is:
Guerlain Les Meteorites Rouge A Levres Rechargeable Refillable Lipstick in No. 27, Pivoine!

First of all, for all my regular readers, have you ever seen me so happy wearing a lipstick before?  The answer, is NO :)  The reason for that, is that this particular Guerlain collection was released in the 1980s, and discontinued (WTF) never to be seen again, except for the likes of good old Ebay, which is where I scored this lovely piece of beauty history!
When I scored this lovely still-in-the-box beautiful exceptional piece of lipstick history, I knew I hit the motherload!  I have sooo many lipsticks, and this, my friends, is the cream of the crop.  This package was never opened or used (except solely for the purposes for taking pictures for the Ebay auction) and it is in brand new condition.  The chances of finding something like this are slim to none!
I'm sure that when this was released, it was the status-quo must-have cosmetic item, and women most likely swooned.  No idea how much it cost at the time, but I'm sure it was a pretty penny.  From what I can dig up on the web, this particular collectoin (which I'm super obsessed with) came about in the 1980s, is plated in 18k gold, and has hand laid enamel, resembline Marie Antoinette's jewelry box...!  Seriously? Yes, SERIOUSLY.
When I first opened this, I was completely in awe.  it's in a velvet-lined box that resembles a jewelry box.  It also came with the velvet slipcase, and the original Guerlain Les Meteorites paperwork, outlining the entire collection.  This is absolutely my favorite, and one of my most prized pieces in my entire collection.  You would think that this would be a collector's item, and it most likely is...however you know that there's just no way that I could possibly keep this and not use it.  Honestly, I don't think I own a color that is more flattering on me.  Pivoine is a lovely neutral rose color with very fine micro rose shimmer.  The staying power is great, about 4 hours, and leaves a wonderful rosey stain on lips as it wears.  Here are some swatches, then I'll stop blabbing and move on, promise :)
For cryin out loud, I've never seen something so beautiful!!!  

I WILL own the rest of this collection...just a matter of time!!!
photocredit: www.quickmeme.com



NEXT UP!
Clarisonic Mia 2 Skin Cleansing Brush

I was really torn about purchasing this brush, however, after purchasing and using the Olay Pro-X face brush, and reading other reviews of people who have both, I couldn't resist!

I will do my own comparison of these two brushes, so that anyone interested in purchasing a facebrush can hopefully make an educated decision :) I did do a review of the Olay Pro-X brush a week or so ago, but I'll do another quick run-down in this post so that you can see both.

Let's start with how Clarisonic describes the Mia 2:

"It's time to think beyond the washcloth and elevate cleansing to a sonic level. Clarisonic's patented sonic technology gently removes the impurities traditional cleaning methods leave behind, cleansing six times better than your hands alone. In just 60 seconds, its sonic action removes impurities from pores so that creams, serums, and moisturizers are more effective. And with regular daily use you'll notice a reduction in dry patches, oily areas, and blemishes.
  • - 2 speeds for added cleansing customization
  • - Pulsing T-Timer for 60-second cleanse
  • - Improved user interface indicating speed and charge functions
  • - 2 year warranty
This set contains:
  • - Clarisonic Mia2 2 Speed Brush
  • - International pLink Charger for worldwide use
  • - Sensitive Brush Head
  • - 1 oz Refreshing Gel Cleanser
  • - Protective travel case
What else you need to know:
Clarisonic should be used as part of a daily skincare routine to provide skin that feels and looks smoother. It is ideal for all skin types. Used and recommended by leading dermatologists and cosmetic surgeons."


I've been using the Clarisonic Mia 2 for a little over a week, and I personally LOVE this brush, and I don't see myself ever going without this.  The 2 speed brush is set to a 60 second timer, and pulses each time you need to begin cleansing on a different area of your face.  This thing is no joke, and especially if you wear makeup everyday, it will do wonders for you.  I can't believe the difference it's made.  

You have to use the Clarisonic with a GEL cleanser, it clearly says in the instructions to NOT use an exfoliating cleanser with this, and I don't see the need for it anyway, or intend to try.  The Clarisonic uses Sonic technology to deep clean, as opposed to the Olay Pro-X which is a rotating brush.  I prefer the Sonic technology, as I feel for me it is more effective, and gentler.  The brush also came with the sensitive brush-head, which I also feel is doing wonders for my skin.  I do have very sensitive skin :) 
My makeup goes on and stays on better than ever after using the Clarisonic, and I noticed a huge difference after just one day of use.  My acne dark spots were fading, any blemishes that I did have (they were small) were diminishing.  

The Clarisonic is rechargeable, and holds a charge for 24 uses before needing charging again.  The charger is really cool and magnetizes to the bottom of the front of the brush.  The Clarisonic Mia 2 is not cheap.  $149 to be exact, however, I had a 20% off coupon, and a $30 credit at Ulta, so I got mine for about $90. You can find these on Ebay too, you'd just need to purchase your own brush-head obviously :)

As for the Olay Pro-X...
The Olay Pro-X is also a good alternative face brush for those who don't feel like taking the plunge on the Clarisonic.  I used this for a solid 2 weeks, and it definitely made a HUGE difference in my skin, however, near the end of the 2nd week I started to get a few patches of irritated skin around my chin and jaw line.  I think this was "user error" and I was holding the brush too hard against my skin.  

The Pro-X is a ROTATING brush, as opposed to a pulsating sonic cleanse, like the Clarisonic.  So, you have to take extra care with when using the Pro-X, and be sure to not use it for too long, because it does not run on a timer.  It feels really good using it, and is very easy to over-cleanse with this since there's nothing telling you to stop.  The Pro-X runs on 2 AA batteries, which come in the box upon purchase, as well as a sample of Olay's exfoliating cleanser.  Yes, they offer an exfoliating cleanser with this brush, which I would not recommend using with it.   I'd recommend your favorite GEL cleanser.  Some of my favorites are Cetaphil Daily Cleanser and Philosophy Purity Cleanser.  If you have super sensitive skin, Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser is also really great.

The Pro-X is much easier on the wallet, varying from about $22-$30.  It is very cheap on Amazon.com, so I'd recommend if you want to take a stab at the world of facial cleansing brushes, to give this one a 'go.

There are also manual facial brushes that you can get from Sephora and Ulta.  These are only as effective as the user themselves, and you'd have to be very sure to hold the brush flush to your skin, not push too hard while cleansing, and be sure not to over cleanse because then you're asking for trouble.  
These are even cheaper at $6 a pop.

All in all I 100% recommend facial brushes.  They make the hugest difference, and absolutely have changed my life.  I get more compliments on my skin now than I ever have, and I can actually walk outside without makeup now and not feel completely hideous.  The tone, color, and clarity of my skin has changed dramatically over the last couple of weeks...I will never cleanse my face with just my hands again and I urge you to do the same! :)


LET'S GET VINTAGE!

I've always been in love with all things vintage, but in the past few weeks I've definitely leapt hard into the realm of vintage cosmetics, particularly, hand and compact mirrors! 
I got this adorable, heavy antique compact mirror on Ebay for a steal, at about $12.  As you can see it's small, but it packs a punch!  It's really heavy, and doesn't fully clasp.  The design uses the compacts weight to keep it closed, until it's time for use.  It doesn't open all the way either, it opens to exactly the angle you need to look at yourself just perfectly.  The definition of super vanity LOL.

Ebay is a great place to find great vintage cosmetic finds for super cheap.  These compact mirrors are a great way to amp up your style, confidence and make you feel super duper pretty.

I'll leave you with this final thought...
photocredit: www.quickmeme.com
Have a great weekend, stay foxxxy :-)

Sher

1 comment:

  1. I just scored the same exact Guerlain lipstick! Though I'm a bit weary about using such an old lipstick, did you run into any problems while using the lipstick?just thought I'd ask, :)

    ReplyDelete