Monday, February 18, 2013

Powder Foundation Comparison ~ Palmer's Cocoa Butter Oil ~ L'Oreal Evercurl Cream Gel review!

Happy Presidents Day!  

President Obama has just received his Foxxxy makeover, courtesy of me, Sher Stewart!

LOOKIN' GOOD, PREZ!!!!
Thanks to President's Day, I have the day off today (awesome!) so today's post will be hefty!

First of all, there's a battle going on up in here...

THE BATTLE OF THE POWDER FOUNDATIONS!!!!!!!

I'm going to sort out this mess once and for all!  As you know, I recently have fallen in love with MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation.  I used to be a faithful user of the Cover Girl Simply Powder powder foundation (starting all the way back in 8th grade!) I always have one on hand, it is a nice powder...but in the whirlwind of my daily cosmetic obsessive compulsiveness, it got lost in the mix.  So I'm going to settle this mess here and now, and answer the question: WHICH POWDER FOUNDATION IS BETTER?!

Lets start off with swatches of the Cover Girl Simply Powder foundation:
Cover Girl Simply Powder Foundation Compact (does come w/ sponge applicator too)
Inside of Compact (I removed the sponge.  It is stored in the same compartment as the powder)
Here is the swatch - this is one swipe of the product on my finger.
Cover Girl describes this product as:

"Covers like a liquid, but goes on like a powder. So light the look of tiny flaws, oil and shine seem to disappear. Simply Powder Foundation is non-acnegenic, hypoallergenic, and won't clog pores, for an even skin tone and beautiful matte finish. Plus, it's mirrored compact lets you take it everywhere.  Won't clog pores.  Suitable for sensitive skin."

The one thing that I don't like about this product is that there are only 9 shades available, and after reading a lot of reviews, I noticed that a lot of women have issues not with the product itself, but finding a good color match.  I use the lightest, Ivory (505) and as you can see from the photos, this is not very light.

Although they claim it to cover like a liquid, the coverage of this powder is medium, at best.  It would be buildable, but you'd have to use a buffing brush and probably a tinted moisturizer base to get really decent coverage.  This is a really good powder for the price though, and it is very silky and doesn't get cakey and weird either.  I've also never had this powder oxidize on me (change color) during the day, which is always a plus!  I like how purse-friendly the compact itself is, but I don't like that they expect the sponge to be stored on top of the product itself...that's asking for a bacterial breeding ground, so I usually use a brush.  This powder foundation is definitely checkbook friendly, costs $6 at good old Wal-Mart.

I did a super-mondo review of the MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation the other day, but I'll put the pictures here, since there is a battle going on, and so you guys can reference the two powders in the same post:
MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation Compact
Inside of Compact (There's also a bottom storage compartment for sponge applicator)
One swipe of product on finger
As you can see, the MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation is WAY more pigmented than the Cover Girl Powder Foundation.  (I am NC25 in this) I personally like the MAC one way better, but then again, I need full coverage.  I have a lot of pigmentation issues and redness, but for someone who doesn't need full coverage, I'm sure the Cover Girl foundation would work just fine!  In this battle though....MAC - 1, Cover Girl- 0.  The MAC foundation is expensive, $27 a pop...but in this case, you definitely get what you pay for.

I do have a picture of myself with half of my face done in the Cover Girl powder foundation, and the other half in the MAC powder foundation, but I'd rather not post that here LOL, if you would like to see it, let me know and I will get it to you! :)

Here is the best (and my personal favorite) tool for applying Powder Foundation:
photocredit: www.target.com
E.L.F. Powder Brush (Flat Top)

This brush is AWESOME.  The best brush for a full coverage, buffed, airbrushed finish.  Best part about this?  This brush (and all other E.L.F. brushes) are $2.99 ~ available at Kmart, Target and Harmon Discount.  E.L.F. brushes and products are cruelty free.  If you like powder, you need this brush!


NEXT UP...

This winter is driving my skin NUTS.  I am really getting sick of lotions these days.  Not only are they annoying to put on, but I'm really picky about lotions and I always feel greasy and gross after I put them on....and I don't know which is worse?  Having flaky dry skin, or being gross and greasy?!  So yesterday, I picked up something on a whim...
photocredit: www.echemist.co.uk
Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Skin Therapy Oil


As advertised on the package, it claims to improve the appearance of
  • Scars
  • Stretch Marks
  • Dry, Damaged Skin
  • Uneven Skin Tone
  • Aging Skin
Honestly, I was expecting this stuff to be a mess.  I was pleasantly surprised!  This has a pump applicator, so no dumping, spilling, etc.  Upon first application, the product does LOOK greasy and shiny, but doesn't feel that way at all.  I would describe this as a "dry" oil.  It completely absorbed into my skin within about 5 minutes, leaving behind a very pleasant scent, and SUPER baby soft skin.  This was a really nice change from messy, greasy lotions and I can see myself using this regularly.  This is also a multi-tasker product, you can pour a tablespoon of this in your bathwater for a nice, moisturizing soak :)  I got this for $7.49 at Harmon, and I would recommend it to anyone who is sick of greasy lotions and looking for a nice change!

Last up!
L'Oreal Evercurl Sculpt & Hold Cream Gel

I have nightmare hair...it is naturally "wavy" which translates mostly to frizz and tangles.  Not pretty.  I was actually eyeing up a Redken Creme Gel, but saw this as a WAY cheaper alternative.  The Redken Creme Gel is about $20, and this was about $7.  I have a love-hate relationship with hair gels.  Most of them do help the curls look really nice...however the curls DO NOT MOVE, which looks like I'm wearing a basket of curly fries on my head.  Not a good look.  So lately, I've been on the hunt for something that will stop my waves from being a frizz factory.

L'Oreal describes this product as:


EverCurl™ Sulfate-Free Curl Care System Sculpt & Hold Cream Gel is a dual-phase formula that helps detangle and separate curls while adding shine. This weightless 2-in-1 oil infuses silky moisture without greasiness. Curls are soft, more manageable without stiffness or frizz.  100% Sulfate-Free  Botanical Oils 

This is the first gel that I have used that has actually done what it claims.  My frizzy waves actually transformed into more defined, SILKY curls (not crunchy!) and it is definitely shiny and malleable.  Such a nice change from the usual concrete rock hard gels that I've been using.  No crunchiness, and no frizziness!  Love this stuff A LOT.  I can even put this in wet hair before bed, and wake up with "sexy bedhead" SWEET!

I think that's about enough rambling for one day!
"Is there a foxier woman than Sher Stewart in the world?  NOPE!" :) photocredit: www.wotyougot.com
Happy President's Day, thanks for reading, and STAY FOXXXY!

xoxo

Sher

No comments:

Post a Comment